Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Mind of Migel from the 12/6/07 Ionian


I’ve found that time has a way of passing in funny ways. One day it seems like it will take forever to get of high school, then seemingly a moment later and college is almost over.
At the risk of writing a ‘fluff’ column, in this edition of the Mind of Migel I would like to take a break from discussing controversial issues like Iona’s drinking policy or hard-hitting news like the emergency state in Pakistan, which looks to have nearly resolved itself since our last edition.
The other day I filled out a card which was essentially an application to graduate from college. Like every other senior, I received the standard email reminding me to do so before the end of November. I kept reminding myself to do it, yet somehow it didn’t get done until the day before I left for Thanksgiving break.
When I filled out the card I had to pause for a moment and reflect that, “Wow this is actually happening.” Not so much the fact that I’m graduating from college, just the nature of how incredibly fast time flies by. Didn’t I just move into the first floor of Loftus a couple days ago? I admit that when I’m not doing schoolwork or putting together the Ionian on a deadline night I tend to be off in my own little world most of the time. Yet, there always seem to be things which can knock us back into reality.
For me, that moment came during my family’s Thanksgiving dinner (technically it was lunch.) I had worked eight hours the day before and came in to work from 8 a.m. – noon on Turkey Day itself. From there we rushed up to my Aunt and Uncle’s house in upstate New York for the big cheerful feast.
The only problem is that it wasn’t all that cheerful. There were only six people there and the most prominently missing person was my Grandma. Despite having just turned 90, she is always in great spirits and loves to see all her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. But on that particular Thursday she was too weak to come join the feast due to a recent surgery and radiation treatment to combat cancerous lymph nodes which needed to be removed.
While we certainly did have some fun despite Grandma’s absence, there was a noticeable sense of foreboding among everyone about her condition. With Christmas just around the corner, I really am selfishly praying she gets better if only so I could spend some more time with her.
I really don’t like to get too personal with these columns, but with the ever-rushing passage of time heavy on my mind I figured I’d vent some of my feelings over that with you. With the holiday season here already it seems like now is as good a time as ever to dole out some ‘fluffy’ advice. If you’re going home to a family that really does love you after finals and are expecting some pricy presents this Christmas, be grateful for it. I know I am – and the fact that so many kids in this world don’t have parents should make us all feel more grateful.
In the midst of the rush of Christmas shopping, studying for finals and everything else don’t forget to take some time out and give thanks for what really matters in life.

No comments: